1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

'07 Fit Wheel Bearing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITTECH
Well, I work at a honda dealer and have had no problems with fit wheel bearings. Is the car lowered, what rims and what offset. Not to sure on the set up on the rear yet but bearing may not be getting the proper torque when installed. Have u hit any potholes or curbs, somthing may have been tweaked causing abnormal bearing wear. Take it to a tech. that you trust get them to look at it. (there are a lot of techs that dont care. I see it all the time. big screw ups by cert. techs) Allways get a second oppinion. Just cause u take it to a dealer doesnt mean its getting fixed properly. Just read that the fit is stock, disregaurd the lowering and rim part.

Thanks. Very good advice.
I still bet on some goofy wheel/tire combination.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Well, I work at a honda dealer and have had no problems with fit wheel bearings. Is the car lowered, what rims and what offset. Not to sure on the set up on the rear yet but bearing may not be getting the proper torque when installed. Have u hit any potholes or curbs, somthing may have been tweaked causing abnormal bearing wear. Take it to a tech. that you trust get them to look at it. (there are a lot of techs that dont care. I see it all the time. big screw ups by cert. techs) Allways get a second oppinion. Just cause u take it to a dealer doesnt mean its getting fixed properly. Just read that the fit is stock, disregaurd the lowering and rim part.
Check Service Bulletin SB038T08 if you have access to it. Tell me what extended warranty that has.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
All Stock

The entire car is all stock from the dealer. Except some stylin eyelids for the headlights, but I don't think those have much to do with wheel bearings.

Springs are stock for the Sport model, Wheels are stock for Sport model (16s maybe?), Tires are stock... I don't remember which brand, I'd go look but the whole thing is under a few feet of snow. The tire brand I think may be Dunlop and has rain grooves if that helps. Either way they're stock from the dealer still and have been rotated according to the warranty schedule. All standard maintenance has been to within 100 miles of the warranty recommendations.

This problem is definitely NOT caused by aftermarket parts.

I have taken it to two different dealerships to have it repaired, I guess there is still a good chance that they both just hired sucky mechanics though.

No big potholes, accidents or anything of that sort that might disturb the precise rotation to mess up the bearings.

Thanks for all the good info guys, keep it coming. Next week I'll be near my favorite dealership so I'll want to talk to them about it.

Last edited by TrickyPantz; 03-02-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:44 AM
Good news for some of you who are experiencing this problem: The wheel bearing issue is covered under Honda's 5yr/50,000 miles power-train warranty. I am having my car brought in for work this coming Thursday and was informed by the service manager at my dealership that the work is covered under the mentioned warranty.

For socal people, the dealership is Power Honda in Costa Mesa.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:01 AM
what window tint is that is it the low or the med.??

Old 06-03-2009, 02:54 PM
just took mine into the shop today, 56,798 miles. drivers side front bearing went out. $215 buckaroos!

Old 06-18-2009, 04:33 PM
JWB
I have a completly standard 2003 Jazz (14" steel wheels) here in the Uk and the rear left wheel bearing failed after 50,000 miles. It is a common problem.

I stripped the hub and bearing and let a bearing expert look at it. His diagnosis was water contamination. Both the hub and inner race was worn. The balls were OK.

John

PS manual gearbox input bearings also fail ....... seems like Honda had a bearing problem!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Just had BOTH of my fronts fail at 65,000. $500+ repair. Seems early to me, and the existence of a recall petition (which I signed) and a service bulletin (and an extended warranty that recently ran out) is not making me happy. I guess I can "look forward to" doing the rears soon.

Honda may really want to do something about this. Of course the alternative (Toyota) is looking even worse.

Last edited by FSchmertz; 01-30-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Update:

Both front wheel bearings, ABS sensors that had become corroded to the wheels (he described them as "Cheap Plastic"), and alignment after installation $950.00.

I'm NEVER buying another Honda product. I consider this WAY too expensive a repair to be occurring in a 2007 Honda. Their quality has gone downhill just like Toyota's.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:15 PM
No wheel bearing jobs at my dealership for the Fit.

I work at a Honda dealership, and have not seen a Fit with a wheel bearing gone yet. I dont think honda has a issue with there bearings on the Fit. If there was a issue we would have seen one fail by now. Try driving a korean built car (Kia or hyundai) wheel bearings fail all the time on all models lol. No recalls for those cars.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by duketing
Check Service Bulletin SB038T08 if you have access to it. Tell me what extended warranty that has.
No T.S.B of that # or anything related to wheel bearings in the Honda Canada web page. I cant get access to the USA site, cant help you there sorry. Warr. coverage in Canada is 5 years or 100 000 km - whatever comes first. I have 65 000 km on my Fit and its lowered and was in a collision with damage to the R/F wheel and suspension. Wheel bearings are all original? I dont know what to tell you guys, I feel bad. Call custumer service and let them know of your wheel bearing issues. If they get enough complaints about it they may just do somthing like extend the warr. coverage.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Im at 56K and my front right bearing is going. My 07 is at the dealer right now getting the recall work done. I think I will fix it myself even though i am paying the 70.00 diagnostic fee to have some grease monkey drive my car around the block and say "Yeah I hear it too, its probably a wheel bearing." The part is only 50.00 LOL
They quoted me around 300.00 to fix it. I am begining to realize that Honda's customer service and loyalty goes out the door as soon as you sign and drive away.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Im having the same issue as well on my rear drivers side. It has caused a very unusual uneven wear on that specific tire and vibration and pulsing noises during turns and when im going 70+mph. Im going to replace it sometime this month.

If this is a consistent problem and enough people complain then hopefully honda will place a recall

Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
I work at a Honda dealership, and have not seen a Fit with a wheel bearing gone yet. I dont think honda has a issue with there bearings on the Fit. If there was a issue we would have seen one fail by now. Try driving a korean built car (Kia or hyundai) wheel bearings fail all the time on all models lol. No recalls for those cars.

Our independent shop has not seen a Fit wheel bearing failure yet either and our customers are generally the performance bunch that would be severe on wheel bearings. Course none have exceeded 60,000 miles either.
My guess is first, wheel bearing failures are more likely from bad offsets or lowering, then second a bad water exposure issue. And I'm not familiar with the 'encoder' wheel bearings that Honda and others use for I guess the TPMS. I'll have to check my SK cat to see what's involved. That may be the reason for shorter bearing life, thanks to nanny gov. Wonder if SK has an answer.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
I've run the 16" Honda Accessory wheels on my '07 Sport since new and I've got 157,000 miles on it right now. I also got a "performance" wheel alignment from my Honda dealer. I've set my rear camber to -0.50 degrees and 0.01 degrees toe in with specialty Products shims. Runns and handels great!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:52 PM
sounds like a climate issue rather than a quality issue, do you live near salt water?

Old 02-18-2011, 10:29 PM
new bearing

I just put a new bearing in with the help of a friend who has a lift and the right tools. Problem is gone and I saved a ton of money by not taking it to the dealership. I live in central NC and it has never come in contact with salt water with the exception of a bit salt in the winter.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Alighnment out of spec. wont eat bearings
this is wrong. I'm replacing a wheel bearing today because of a bad alignment. 4 degrees of toe ate my wheel bearing

Old 01-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
this is wrong. I'm replacing a wheel bearing today because of a bad alignment. 4 degrees of toe ate my wheel bearing
How hard is this to do?

I think ill just pull the knuckles off and take it to a shop to remove and press in new ones..

just worried about leaving the axles and shit all just hanging there lol

Old 01-12-2016, 12:32 PM
What are your symptoms of needing a new front wheel bearing is it a metal to metal sound?

Quick Reply: '07 Fit Wheel Bearing Issue