1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Need TPMS Solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Sponger, I'm afraid the link to Mikes DIY has been killed. The last time I tried to link to it, it wouldn't open. Taking apart the cluster is actually pretty easy, maybe I'll do another DIY on it and try to get it stickied so everyone can use it. FYI, you will need to use black tape, the LED in the cluster is real damn bright.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
Sponger, I'm afraid the link to Mikes DIY has been killed. The last time I tried to link to it, it wouldn't open. Taking apart the cluster is actually pretty easy, maybe I'll do another DIY on it and try to get it stickied so everyone can use it. FYI, you will need to use black tape, the LED in the cluster is real damn bright.
Thanks man. I will use black tape I guess. Or I will try to short out the wire going to the led for tpms if I can find it.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YA2_user_GD3
So I'm running the GS-R Blades right now and they finally threw out the TPMS on the dash. I wanted to know if there's a way to disable it. I ran a search and found no direct answer about disabling it, just possibly transferring it to the new set of rims.

I don't know if TPMS works with the GSR's for one and secondly they would be a very large bitch to transfer because I already got the wheels with tires mounted and don't really want to goto the hassle of lugging all the stuff to a shop.

So, can it be disabled easily or too difficult? I could ignore it but just wanted to see if there was a solution to it first.

Our easy solution. Cover the warning with black electrical tape on the front. Easy on; easy off.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:28 PM
The LED is part of the printed circuit board for the cluster, so I'm not sure it can be shorted out. When you take the cluster apart the instrument faces are all one big piece laying on top of the cluster assembly. All you have to do is gently peel the gauge face up and put the tape over the little square where the LED is. Just be careful not to use too much tape, the first time I did mine I covered the right turn indicator (do-oh!)

Old 04-26-2010, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by theloxmyth
After installing BRAND NEW TPMS sensors on my mags, the TPMS light DID come on after about 50-100 miles.

After another 50-100 miles, the TPMS light is now OFF!
HApPy, hApPY, jOy, JoY!

I expect that when I switch back to my Blizzaks that the TPMS light will come on again and then go out again.
Odd, that. My TPMS light stayed on all Winter with four known good sensors in the rims and never did go out until I switched back to my all-season tires.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Working properly

Originally Posted by E = Mc2
Odd, that. My TPMS light stayed on all Winter with four known good sensors in the rims and never did go out until I switched back to my all-season tires.
That means your system is working as designed. The lights should go "on" if you put on another set of tires and don't synch them to the computer. Whether they have good sensors in them or not, makes no difference... the winter tires are not synched to your computer, but, your all-season tires are. You'll have to live with that situation when you have the winter tires on, or, you'll have to pay someone to synch them when you put them on and then synch the all-season tires when you install them again... there's no way around that. So, you'll have to determine if it's worth it to you to synch them twice a year, every year. I let the light glare at me during the winter months when I have the snow tires on.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:42 PM
I must find a way to trick the worthless TPMS!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Needless Expense

Originally Posted by sponger
I must find a way to trick the worthless TPMS!
Since the stinkin TPMS light is only in US cars, Honda should have supplied a method to turn it off. I think Honda missed the boat, here, when it came to customer satisfaction. The absurdity of making the system where an owner has to pay twice a year to have the system operate properly if the owner wants to change-over to snow tires is ridiculous. That expense is unwarranted.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by einstein77
Since the stinkin TPMS light is only in US cars, Honda should have supplied a method to turn it off. I think Honda missed the boat, here, when it came to customer satisfaction. The absurdity of making the system where an owner has to pay twice a year to have the system operate properly if the owner wants to change-over to snow tires is ridiculous. That expense is unwarranted.

Wasn't honda's idea; its your 'friendly' government that said you're too dumb a driver to keep up with your tire pressures so we'll pass a law that your car, Honda or other, will do it for you.
If you think thats bad, you should hear the things being considered now.

If you even think of voting for a Democrat for any office you should be registered under the 287(g) program and deported as an undocumented American.

Did you know GM claims to have paid their loan back but they aren't telling you that they did it with TARP funds. they have to repay the loan but TARP is a gift from your pocketbook thats used to pay finabcial institutions as well. TARP comes from your future taxes.
If you had any idea just how much this administration is billing you for you'd be terrified.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 PM
All too true^^ Remember people that all of the hassle is only to keep the TPMS functional as it was designed. Most of us on this site are here because we are enthusiasts (not without exception of course) As enthusiasts we are more than capable of checking and maintaining our own tire pressures. Just covering the light causes the car no harm and solves the problem for most of us. It could always be worse, they could have interlocked the TPMS into the ABS somehow, wherein the readiing of a flat causes the ABS intervention threshhold to be cut in half. That would be a Mercedes or Lexus gizmo to be certain.....

Last edited by grtpumpkin; 04-28-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: speling LOL
Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
All too true^^ Remember people that all of the hassle is only to keep the TPMS functional as it was designed. Most of us on this site are here because we are enthusiasts (not without exception of course) As enthusiasts we are more than capable of checking and maintaining our own tire pressures. Just covering the light causes the car no harm and solves the problem for most of us. It could always be worse, they could have interlocked the TPMS into the ABS somehow, wherein the readiing of a flat causes the ABS intervention threshhold to be cut in half. That would be a Mercedes or Lexus gizmo to be certain.....

I have heard it mentioned inside the beltway that underinflated tires are so hazardous that the TPMS should prevent you starting the vehicle if TPMS activates. You thought you were kidding but those people aren't.