1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Any Base owners with after market wheels but NO drop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Question Any Base owners with after market wheels but NO drop?

Hoping you 07-08 specific guys might be able to help me out. I really need to see some Base models with aftermarket wheels with no drop.

I'm looking to buy some wheels this spring, but am pulling out my hair trying to figure out how they will look without the Sport bodykit and with no drop.

I've spent hours upon hours looking at pics in the gallery and wheels subforums and other sites, but I'm no closer to picking out some wheels

I'm thinking about 15" wheels.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
I'm also looking to do larger wheels (15x7) without a body kit. I will be getting Tanabe GF210 springs, so the drop will be very minimal. I think anything larger than 15 without a drop or kit will make the car look like a roller skate or something.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:15 PM
i think w/o the sport body kit the smaller the wheel the better i saw gold 14s on a black base w/ jdm badges it looked sweet

Old 02-10-2009, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
no lip kit = less scraping!

here's a pic of mine felixy69 took from feb fit meet.
haven't lowered yet.
buddyclub P1 racing SF
15x6.5 +42 i think?
with 195/55

Name:  R0016188.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  142.8 KB

Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Um yea i have seen them there are plenty of them out there. They look just as good if u ask me. I have the sport with rotas with no drop i do have coils coming in so i will have a drop soon. But i would say go with 15x7 or even maybe 16x7 thats what i have on now

Old 02-11-2009, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
i think w/o the sport body kit the smaller the wheel the better i saw gold 14s on a black base w/ jdm badges it looked sweet
I'm still tempted to stay with 14's. They're cheaper and the tires are cheaper too!

Originally Posted by ucsmfu
no lip kit = less scraping!

here's a pic of mine felixy69 took from feb fit meet.
haven't lowered yet.
buddyclub P1 racing SF
15x6.5 +42 i think?
with 195/55
Those look pretty good! That's the kind of pic I was looking for, thanks!

Decisions, decisions.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
I think if no lip kit, then the splash guards are a good look. Cheap and add just a little something something to the base look.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
eww....
a sport with wheels and stock suspension looks weird.
a base is like that x2!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
I have a base and im running GF210s with 16" wheels, so the drop is very minimal. And yes no lip kit=less scraping. I've only scraped once, and it was very minor on a super steep driveway, and it could have been avoided too I just wasnt paying attention. LOL. Here are some pics i posted if you wana see em. The base bumpers and little JDM goodies give the car a nice OEM look. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...hotoshoot.html

Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kyle is raaddd
eww....
a sport with wheels and stock suspension looks weird.
a base is like that x2!
That's why I'm hesitant to buy new wheels . Might just go ahead and take the chance and see how they look and go from there.

Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
I think if no lip kit, then the splash guards are a good look. Cheap and add just a little something something to the base look.
Agreed. The one thing I think every car needs is a set of spats or flaps.

Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
I have a base and im running GF210s with 16" wheels, so the drop is very minimal. And yes no lip kit=less scraping. I've only scraped once, and it was very minor on a super steep driveway, and it could have been avoided too I just wasnt paying attention. LOL. Here are some pics i posted if you wana see em. The base bumpers and little JDM goodies give the car a nice OEM look. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...hotoshoot.html
Looks good!

I'm gonna consider those lowering springs, but I'm not crazy about lowering it. Where did you get the GF210's and what's a good price for them?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by p1driftfiend
That's why I'm hesitant to buy new wheels . Might just go ahead and take the chance and see how they look and go from there.
well if you buy wheels i'd suggest HFP's.
they look the best with no drop.

but just buy springs!
they're cheap, is there a reason you don't want to drop it?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member

Agreed. The one thing I think every car needs is a set of spats or flaps.

Looks good!

I'm gonna consider those lowering springs, but I'm not crazy about lowering it. Where did you get the GF210's and what's a good price for them?
My neighbors fit has mudflaps. I should sneak over and take them at night. LOL. Yeah if you want a minimal drop go with the GF210s. Liek i said, its very hard to scrape a base bumper with those springs. And they perform well too, very stiff. I got mine brand new for 225. But there usually up on the forum from 100-150. Theyre great springs

Old 02-11-2009, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kyle is raaddd
well if you buy wheels i'd suggest HFP's.
they look the best with no drop.
but just buy springs!
they're cheap, is there a reason you don't want to drop it?
I think Bernardi Honda has HFP's for about ~140 a pc. Not sure I wanna go up to 16's however. I do have a old Fit accessory brochure which has a base Fit with HFP's and it looks pretty good.

I'm not crazy about loosing the little ground clearance the car has, and I didn't really wanna do that much to the car.

Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
My neighbors fit has mudflaps. I should sneak over and take them at night. LOL. Yeah if you want a minimal drop go with the GF210s. Liek i said, its very hard to scrape a base bumper with those springs. And they perform well too, very stiff. I got mine brand new for 225. But there usually up on the forum from 100-150. Theyre great springs
Sounds good, I'm gonna start reading some more about the springs.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
I think Bernardi Honda has HFP's for about ~140 a pc. Not sure I wanna go up to 16's however. I do have a old Fit accessory brochure which has a base Fit with HFP's and it looks pretty good.

I'm not crazy about loosing the little ground clearance the car has, and I didn't really wanna do that much to the car.

Sounds good, I'm gonna start reading some more about the springs.
My wheels in the pictures are HFP wheels. The HFPs give the base model a nice OEM look. I think i got my set for 400+100 shipping on ebay. Just look around, theres good deals. And with the GF210 springs you will not loose much ground clearance, maybe with 15"s though? but that would depend on your tire size too.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Hoping you 07-08 specific guys might be able to help me out. I really need to see some Base models with aftermarket wheels with no drop.

I'm looking to buy some wheels this spring, but am pulling out my hair trying to figure out how they will look without the Sport bodykit and with no drop.

I've spent hours upon hours looking at pics in the gallery and wheels subforums and other sites, but I'm no closer to picking out some wheels

I'm thinking about 15" wheels.

The problem with lowering is the offset of the replacement wheels. Go less than 42 mm and you will get rubbibng with 205 section tires of at least 23.4" diameter. Go skinnier or/and smaller diameter increases the allowed drop. 205/50x15, 205/45x16, and 205/40x17 tires all work if your offset is above 44 mm. They are all about 23.1 to 23.4" diameter and won't bother mpg or speedo enough to concern while adding considerable cornering power, assuming of course you do the right suspension setup.

Last edited by mahout; 02-11-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Here's mine when I still had my stock rear end and mudflaps. No drop whatsoever. I roll on Rota Circuit 10s, 16x7.0 offset 45, shod with 205/45R16 rubber.
Name:  DSC00137.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  46.7 KB
Note: My GD1 Jazz is a little different from your GD3 Fits over there because of the shorter JDM-length front end, but basically the same banana.

Since then, I've traded up to the JDM MMC VTEC rear end. I still run no drop. If you opt not to drop, 16s are a good way to go. Kind of an odd size for tires, but they're the best for looks while maintaining some comfort

Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Im a sport with wheels and stock springs and it looks great see sig but i do have coils on the way

Old 02-12-2009, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
I think 15x7 with a slight drop (like the little bit from the GF210) and splash guards is best if you don't have the lip kit. That's the route I plan on going.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Not really aftermarket, bu I'm running SiR (Si in the US, let's just say EM1) 7-spoke 15" wheels on an LX (no sport kit) and mud flaps all around.

Blogger won't let me hotlink photos there, so click here to link to my post with photo. The photo was taken just after I installed the wheels, and the car was sitting a bit higher than it is now. But I'll probably be installing lowering springs soon.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:31 AM
hey... well if your looking for some rims... im running on rota circuit 8s on my base model 08...here some pic hopefully they help you out..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...it_Corolla.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...2/DSCF2732.jpg

Quick Reply: Any Base owners with after market wheels but NO drop?