1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Are these standard windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Are these standard windshield wipers

I was looking at my wipers the other day and noticed they're quite unique. Has anyone replaced theirs yet and are they expensive?

Old 01-28-2009, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Regular replacements will work, they just look a little odd since most generics mount on the top of the arm, where the OEMs mount kinda on the side of it. I replaced mine with generics and they work just fine.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
I replaced my fronts, not with the OEM hondas but the RainX ones I think. It was not to bad

Old 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bojo
I was looking at my wipers the other day and noticed they're quite unique. Has anyone replaced theirs yet and are they expensive?
OEMs are not that expensive.

Look on-line. One of FF's sponsors sells them. BernardiParts.com , I think!

Old 01-28-2009, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by theloxmyth
OEMs are not that expensive.

Look on-line. One of FF's sponsors sells them. BernardiParts.com , I think!
Yep! Bernardi has them, and I trust them more than I do my local parts guy. The front blade set is $31.89, and the insert set comes in at $8.72. The rear blade is $10.69 and the rear insert is $5.19.

Note that the front blade set is, indeed, a set. You get both right and left blades and inserts at that price. Ditto the insert set. You get both left and right inserts. Unless your blades are physically damaged, there's no need to replace them. Just get the inserts. BTW, if anyone is interested in the rear bumper applique, Bernardi still has them for only $25. You can't beat that with a stick.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
+1 one OEM Refills. These are super cheap and work the best in my opinion. Should be around $15 or less for the set from your local dealership.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Banned
Warning about RainX replacement blades:

Before my '07 Fit got wrecked, I replaced the stock blades with RainX, from a SPAM ad. The blades worked fine, and I also got the RainX glass treatment with the blades. The only slight problem was that the passenger side blade was 1/4" too long. At rest, the wiper actually sat on top of the black plastic scallop piece at the right bottom corner of the windshield. The RainX wipers actually worked great except for the dimension flaw.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
I think I would rather use OEM blades. I worry about the fitment issue. This is a stupid question maybe, but why not just get aftermarket rubber to put in the OEM blades?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation My experience with aftermarket wiper blades

I recently replaced my blades with Anco Winter blades.

Why?
  • My driver's side OEM blade was damaged
  • My local Honda dealer is a disgrace, they never have parts in, and I couldn't wait for replacements via mail order
  • I'm not driving 20 miles to the next nearest Honda dealer for wiper blades
Glad we got that cleared up.

I decided the path of least resistance was to pick up a couple blades from the local auto parts shop and see how they perform. Note that most windshield wiper manufacturers consider the correct sizes to be 24" for the driver's side and 16" for the passenger's side.

The 16" Anco blade is too long for the passenger's side. The Fit's OEM blades are exactly as long as the inserts. Aftermarket blades frequently protrude past the insert on both ends by up to 1/4". This will scrape along the weird plastic cutout on the passenger's side. I wound up buying a 15" blade for the passenger's side after doing some measuring and visual comparison.

Pros: They work great so far, with none of the chattering my OEM blades were doing.

Cons: Since the 15" blade is slightly smaller than the OEM blade, the uncleared area on the windshield between the blades (on the passenger side) is a bit larger. If your passengers are going to complain about a few extra inches of crud left in their field of vision, get the OEM blades. Otherwise, most aftermarket 15" blades seem to be fine for passenger side use.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Warning about RainX replacement blades:

Before my '07 Fit got wrecked, I replaced the stock blades with RainX, from a SPAM ad. The blades worked fine, and I also got the RainX glass treatment with the blades. The only slight problem was that the passenger side blade was 1/4" too long. At rest, the wiper actually sat on top of the black plastic scallop piece at the right bottom corner of the windshield. The RainX wipers actually worked great except for the dimension flaw.
Ditto for the Trico ExactFit blades. After 2 sets of replacement inserts for the OEM blades in a year and a half I concluded they just stink. Even with brand new insert, the passenger side still did not hold the glass tight and left large uncleared areas.

With the trico or RainX, the reference will give you one that goes to the edge of the windshield, which is correct except for the plastic overlay. On the 08 Fit, I took a scissors and cut from the end of the pass blade inward at an angle. So it meets the windshield just inside the plastic piece, but the metal part of the blade hangs over the plastic by about 1/4-1/2" and that's fine. It doesn't seem to rub.

Exact Fit® - Replacement windshield wiper blades for nearly all vehicles | Trico Products

I've had great experience with and highly recommend the trico winters for...yes, winter.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Any old wiper brand should work as long as it's compatible with the hook-type connector on the wiper arms.

I've used Bosch and NWB/Denso wipers, both are pretty good in hot weather. A set works out to about US$12-15 in your money for the 20"/15" length set, which will work fine

A friend of mine tried the 22"/16" combination for the front wipers and found they wiped a lot slower.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:19 PM
HID Addict
eh, i can live wit a 1/4 hangin out i guess, or ill cut it off or sand it curved lol -chrugs- ill manage. although my REAL ocmplaint is the rear window, idk if this happens for you guys, but on wet roads, EVEN barely wet roads, or just a damn puddle, the mist flys up and stays on the rear window, unless i turn on the wiper, which smears it and i even use the RAIN-X window washer fluid on the rear window, still dirty -.- so i looked on the rain-x website for thier blades (they dont have 15" blades -shrugs-) and it says that for the rear wiper: "Rain-X Wiper blades are not available for this model at this length. Requires OEM replacement part. Contact your vehicle manufacturer" Im assuming the OEM length of the blade is less than 16", i guess thats why ill be needing "OEM replacement part", question is, what friggin OEM replacement part!??!!? much thanks in advance :]

Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
eh, i can live wit a 1/4 hangin out i guess, or ill cut it off or sand it curved lol -chrugs- ill manage. although my REAL ocmplaint is the rear window, idk if this happens for you guys, but on wet roads, EVEN barely wet roads, or just a damn puddle, the mist flys up and stays on the rear window, unless i turn on the wiper, which smears it and i even use the RAIN-X window washer fluid on the rear window, still dirty -.- so i looked on the rain-x website for thier blades (they dont have 15" blades -shrugs-) and it says that for the rear wiper: "Rain-X Wiper blades are not available for this model at this length. Requires OEM replacement part. Contact your vehicle manufacturer" Im assuming the OEM length of the blade is less than 16", i guess thats why ill be needing "OEM replacement part", question is, what friggin OEM replacement part!??!!? much thanks in advance :]
Whoa!

195 to 243 with one +REP.

Do iKONA's wiper delete and don't worry 'bout it!

(Psst...USE Aquapel on front AND rear glass!)

Old 02-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
2nd Annual HONDA MEET!

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2350119

Thought you'd wanna know.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:53 PM
HID Addict
heh a quick skim through the first post and the video, man i wanna go lol but im afraid i'll feel left out ... and um... ahem... well... i see cops and i dont have my juniors license heh.. and parents are definatly NOT coming to that lol mines that is, if i get my license by then, ill see wats up, PM the date if u will plz :]

Whoa!

195 to 243 with one +REP.

Do iKONA's wiper delete and don't worry 'bout it!

(Psst...USE Aquapel on front AND rear glass!)
i googled "ikona wiper delete" and i coudnt find exactly find out what it was, one of the results tracked back to fitfreak.net, but was invalid -shugs- hell if i kno lol can u link me? went to the aquapel site and, no wipers? huh? im lost lol are you saying i should spray it? :P

Last edited by Rubba Burna; 02-24-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
" Im assuming the OEM length of the blade is less than 16", i guess thats why ill be needing "OEM replacement part", question is, what friggin OEM replacement part!??!!? much thanks in advance :]
Take a look at the links in my post, above. They go to the pages for the blades and inserts for both front and rear.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
I replaced the wipers on my wife's Fit a little while ago. The recommended size for passenger side is a little too long, so I cut it about 1/4" and it works perfectly.

I want to get the Spoon Sports wiper blades on my Fit, but I find it hard to justify spending $90 on wipers

Old 02-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i just use the factory ones. easist to get imho.

just go to your dealer.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:18 PM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by E = Mc2
Take a look at the links in my post, above. They go to the pages for the blades and inserts for both front and rear.
thing is, i want rain-x wiper blades, for some reason i just belive in thier rain-reistance quality [except the hand-applicator products, BLEH] but at thier site, it states it needs an OEM replacement part. i dont know that part they are talking about, is it the metal/plastic part? or is it something that goes on the "pivot piece" -shrugs- and this is only for the rear wiper, the front wipers do not need replacement parts. Here is the link im talking about, look on the bottom in green text.

Rain-X® Wiper Blade Selector Guide

Old 02-27-2009, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
thing is, i want rain-x wiper blades, for some reason i just belive in thier rain-reistance quality [except the hand-applicator products, BLEH] but at thier site, it states it needs an OEM replacement part. i dont know that part they are talking about, is it the metal/plastic part? or is it something that goes on the "pivot piece" -shrugs- and this is only for the rear wiper, the front wipers do not need replacement parts. Here is the link im talking about, look on the bottom in green text.

Rain-X® Wiper Blade Selector Guide

Reading the text, I don't understand your confusion:(emphasis added)]
Originally Posted by Rain-X Website
Rain-X Wiper blades are not available for this model at this length. Requires OEM replacement part. Contact your vehicle manufacturer.
In other words: they don't make blades in 12 inch lengths, period. You will have to go with another company's blade, or the Original Equipment Manufacturer (in this case: Honda)'s replacement blade. Ehhh... $40 for wipers? I'd spend the $14 for replacement inserts from Honda, a couple more dollars for a bottle of Rain-X or Aquapel, and still have money for a tank of gas or some burgers and fries at Five Guys.

Properly applied, I've never had a problem with using regular old Rain-x on my windows. At 8 months and 18,000+ miles, I haven't had to add any windshield washer fluid, either.

Quick Reply: Are these standard windshield wipers