1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Power Steering Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Power Steering Trouble

A couple of nights ago I warmed my car for about fifteen minutes because it was about 20 below and when I got in to take off I noticed that my power steering light was illuminated and the steering assist was totally gone. I remember reading some posts a while back about a couple of people having trouble with power steering failures and can't remember what the exact outcome was. One thing I do remember was that the person with this problem turned off and restarted the car and all was well. That's what I did and it worked but now I'm worried the problem may return. Any help would be great. Also, Has anyone removed there steering rack. I'd like to find out how difficult this is just in case I need to do it.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 01-27-2009, 05:00 PM
IIRC the lucky ones got it fixed under warranty and the others, well they forked over $$$$ to the Honda dealer because it kept coming back at random.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
It probably will return if it's happened once. The same issue first happened about a month ago with my Fit and I ignored it since it started right back up fine. Then it happened again this last Saturday and again on Monday. Coincidentally I had an appointment to take it in today for the SRS reprogramming and asked them to check the steering. Of course it didn't fail at the shop and I had a mini-argument with the service guy over paying for the diagnostic. I declined it but when I got back to my computer and did some research here and on Edmunds forums I found that it is a fairly common prob.

Since it's intermitten and difficult to diagnose without it occurring right there, ask them to do a ECU (OBDII) scan and the error code should still be stored in the computer. It will read that it has a faulty EPS unit and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately it's on back order (surprise!) but should arrive in a week.

Do it before your warranty runs out. Glad I got the extended cuz this issue pays for it and then some. So don't wait if you are still covered or it will cost you in the end.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
too late for me cuz my i'm at 48k. I wonder if anyone on this forum with a Helms manual would tell me how to replace it myself. That way I just have to buck up and pay for the part.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 PM
thats a fairly expensive part and its fairly labour intensive if i remember right, dont attempt unless you know exactl.y what you're doin, good luck tho hope all goes well

Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
I was one of the folks that it happened to, and mine was still under warranty. Honda really won't be able to do anything until you can get the car to them with the light on (this means leaving it running, while you go in). In my case the steering unit was bad (I never found out what exactly was wrong with it), so it was replaced and I haven't had an issue since.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by uiskibum
I was one of the folks that it happened to, and mine was still under warranty. Honda really won't be able to do anything until you can get the car to them with the light on (this means leaving it running, while you go in). In my case the steering unit was bad (I never found out what exactly was wrong with it), so it was replaced and I haven't had an issue since.

When you say the steering unit was bad, are you referring to the control unit that's under the drivers side kick panel or the steering rack and motor?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
My EPS light came on after the car sat ~36 hours. I turned the car off and back on and the EPS light was no longer on, the steering returned to normal.

Later that week, I mentioned the event to the service guy when I had my Fit in for 1B service.

There was a 'hard code' (?) and the unit will be replaced free next week.

2007 Fit ~36000 miles.

Dave

Old 01-28-2009, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by willy65000
When you say the steering unit was bad, are you referring to the control unit that's under the drivers side kick panel or the steering rack and motor?
I believe it was just the motor, not the rack. I'd have to dig through my paperwork to find that invoice to be sure.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by uiskibum
I believe it was just the motor, not the rack. I'd have to dig through my paperwork to find that invoice to be sure.

If your paperwork lists the component as the EPS Unit, that's not part of the steering rack or the motor but is located under the drivers side kick panel along with lots of other electrical gadgets. Sounds like it's the computer that controls the steering. I'm hoping that's what it is because I cant' see myself replacing the actual steering rack or motor.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baldddguy
My EPS light came on after the car sat ~36 hours. I turned the car off and back on and the EPS light was no longer on, the steering returned to normal.

Later that week, I mentioned the event to the service guy when I had my Fit in for 1B service.

There was a 'hard code' (?) and the unit will be replaced free next week.

2007 Fit ~36000 miles.

Dave
Hey Dave, Any chance you could look at your paperwork after the work is completed and find out exactly what part they replaced? Perhaps a part# as well.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 01-28-2009, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
A couple of nights ago I warmed my car for about fifteen minutes because it was about 20 below and when I got in to take off I noticed that my power steering light was illuminated and the steering assist was totally gone. I remember reading some posts a while back about a couple of people having trouble with power steering failures and can't remember what the exact outcome was. One thing I do remember was that the person with this problem turned off and restarted the car and all was well. That's what I did and it worked but now I'm worried the problem may return. Any help would be great. Also, Has anyone removed there steering rack. I'd like to find out how difficult this is just in case I need to do it.

Thanks,

Bill

First, make sure belkt tension is correct. And belt is OK.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
No belt. It's electric.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by mahout
First, make sure belkt tension is correct. And belt is OK.
The fit has no power steering belt- the steering is ELECTRIC.
You're not writing on forums for '65 Chevys.

Last edited by manxman; 01-29-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
The fit has no power steering belt- the steering is ELECTRIC.
You're not writing on forums for '65 Chevys.

So I was. Right, these Fits are new-fangled things. That'll teach me to go look at it before answering.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks,

Bill

lol that was me! it was weird, and it was cold that morning that i got into the car, but it has been that cold or even colder since and i've not had any issues.

i have an extended warranty that pretty much covers EVERYTHING up to like 100k, so if thats the case i can use it. from what i know, those who got it fixed had to take the car to the dealer with the light still on, because shutting it off would reset the car and take care of the issue.

one thing to note: i had already been driving for several minutes and my car's 'cold engine' light had already turned off, and THEN the eps light came on.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mahout
So I was. Right, these Fits are new-fangled things. That'll teach me to go look at it before answering.
"Father Fit" forgot where he was for a minute, hey?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
It happened to me once like 4 months ago. The blue steering light came on, is that it? Anyways it shut off after I restarted the car and I haven't had an issue since.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
ok, i can't find my paperwork for the warrany service, but i did dig through a couple of old power steering threads... this is what i said after i had it checked out

The DTC was 60-14 (I think) and relates to the EPS unit. So I have a new EPS unit being ordered, and once that gets in they will start the diagnostic procedures to see if it is that unit or if it is something else.
So it looks like it was the EPS unit and not the rack or motor.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
The part finally came in for my car last Thursday and I had it replaced yesterday.
According to the paperwork because they could not recreate the problem and I didn't want to wait until it happened again and then attempt to drive to Honda, they checked the "trouble codes and history through the on board computer" meaning the problem should be stored for future reference so you don't have to try and wait for it to happen again, but you will have to approve the fee for a diagnostic. If you are under warranty or extended warranty then it will be covered.
Error code 32-9: Bad control module. They replaced the EPS control module unit 39980-SLN (FP Number 8321986) price $685.81. Total out the door for diagnostic, labor, part and taxes $824.91 Thankfully covered by Honda Care.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Trouble