1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Most bang for the $ performance upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koi
Don't bother listening to morons like this guy. I have I/H/E and the only thing that's made a big difference in the overall feel of the car is the Blitz TC. Regardless of what people argue about what it does or can do, the feeling of what seems like an increase in the pep and power of the car is more than worth the money.

Only bother listening to him if you're one of those guys who gets a hardon from finding out that there's exactly 3 more hp available to you after spending $200+ on a cheesy bolt on, or ~5hp from a $500+ catback system. If you like driving your car without getting stiff willies from thinking about the minimal gains to be had with this car and modding, then try to find someone who has the Blitz TC to try it yourself. Pretty much guaranteed you'll be satisfied.

We have a customer who is embarassed to have bought one or so he says. by stopwatch didn't do a thing. It's another one of those gotcha's like the air intake systems.
See the latest GRM for their experience with air intake. Dropped hp as installed; only remapping A/F ratio with a $375 'programmer ' showed any improvement.
Oh and with today's emission controlled engines 3 hp is a big gain.
Only big gains are achieved with new cams, manifolds, and reworked FI or carbs.

Last edited by mahout; 12-25-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Banned
Location: Negative Repland (exiled by fragile ego's and "can't handle the truth" babies) LMFAO ;P
TC = garbage to a skilled driver

to a skilled driver a TC will be of no benefit

Old 12-25-2008, 10:36 AM
If only we could tune as easily as the d-series folk. Like mahout said, doing anything leans out the motor. With a D, just buy a chipped p28, get crome for free, get an Ostrich and a wideband, and just drive with the laptop plugged in. If you have your table targets set, it'll tune itself for the most part!

By as much as an I/H/E leans it out, there would be good gains if brought back to proper fuel ratio. You probably won't make more than 10% over stock without a different cam, but hey.

Makes me wonder why I gave up the D. Someone recently had their I/H/E 1.6L with an unported d15b head and aftermarket cam make 156 whp on the chassis dyno.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SFactor2
it only changes the throttle position/pedal position ratio...i.e flooring it would give u the same results
Actuallly......Flooring it will open your TB up to 80%. With the BTC, flooring it produces a true WOT.

Plus, why is everyone so hung up on the fact that it doesn't increase horsepower? It's not necessarily true that more horsepower = faster. I can't count how many times I've wanted to pass people and been disappointed in how anemic the fit can feel when accelerating from a roll even when I floor it. With the BTC I no longer have that problem.

But 'chea. Back on topic.

Best bang for buck mod imo is probably going to be suspension mods. Don't cheap on 'em though. You really get what you pay for.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
to a skilled driver a TC will be of no benefit
wow you're really ignorant as well as an asshole. Of course skilled drivers will benefit from throttle response. What good are performance upgrades if you cant get them down any faster? Why wouldnt you want quicker heel-toe and response? like i said before, even SPORTS CARS come with this so i dont know why we wouldnt need it... Go try one before you bag on one please... and stop mis-guiding these people

Old 12-26-2008, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
wow you're really ignorant as well as an asshole. Of course skilled drivers will benefit from throttle response. What good are performance upgrades if you cant get them down any faster? Why wouldnt you want quicker heel-toe and response? like i said before, even SPORTS CARS come with this so i dont know why we wouldnt need it... Go try one before you bag on one please... and stop mis-guiding these people

Quicker throttle response from what?. Even if you tripled the resolution of the throttle sensor there would be negligible difference in driver input to output signal rate change, if at all.
And when I 'floor' the accelerator my butterfly opens fully. There's no WOT better than that.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
From what I under stand you could be flooring it all day but in different situation you will get a different % of throttle open. The fit is not realy a sports car so the stock computer isn't tuned to be sporty, its tuned for Economy so your foot could be saying Full throttle but the computer will be saying no you will get X amount of throttle. If I under stand this correctly the TC will change that so if you say I want full throttle you will get full throttle. I dont have one yet but if it can quicken up the throttle response and eliminate the sluggishness the car has at speed then im all for it.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Banned
Location: Negative Repland (exiled by fragile ego's and "can't handle the truth" babies) LMFAO ;P
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
u r an a hole for trying to get other people to waste $300+ plus labor and time just because u did
SPORTS CARS couple increased throttle response with other things like quicker actting clutch, changes in traction control and stability control, NOT JUST throttle response.
the most powerful f1 cars (and other big turbo cars) had such bad throttle response, the driver had to give throttle and brake to keep the turbo spooled up...guess what they were super fast
spend the $300+ on driving lessons...that WILL MAKE YOU FASTER
go ahead spend the money on a TC if u want to BUT IT WILL NOT MAKE YOUR CAR GO FASTER
if u want to "feel faster" go ahead...u won't be any faster, just don\t lie to others and yourself
i put on spoon socks, but I KNOW THEY DO NOTHING but look pretty
my exhaust pretty much DOES NOTHING but sounds pretty
i live in reality
i might get a TC too, but only because i like new toys, NOT TO GO FAST
don't be delusional, a TC WILL make u "only feel like a hero" not drive like 1

Old 12-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by MNfit
From what I under stand you could be flooring it all day but in different situation you will get a different % of throttle open. The fit is not realy a sports car so the stock computer isn't tuned to be sporty, its tuned for Economy so your foot could be saying Full throttle but the computer will be saying no you will get X amount of throttle. If I under stand this correctly the TC will change that so if you say I want full throttle you will get full throttle. I dont have one yet but if it can quicken up the throttle response and eliminate the sluggishness the car has at speed then im all for it.
who says u don't get 100%?
where is the proof (verifiable proof FROM MORE THAN 1 PERSON not some joker who may or may not benefit from others spending there money i.e. like a poor cultist who recruits others so they don't feel as stupid or a hidden vendor or a monkey spokesman)
why do u think u don't get 100%?
THE MANUFACTURERS STATES THAT THE TC ONLY INCREASES THROTTLE RESPONSE, THEY MAKE NO CLAIMS TO MAKE MORE POWER
please provide a link where the manufacturer states that it makes MORE POWER (i.e by giving u full throttle)

monkey see monkey do

Old 12-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Banned
remember this thread is called "most bang for the $ performance upgrade"
do u guys know what the word "performance means"???
a car can FEEL SLOWER YET HAVE BETTER PERFORMANCE
seriously a TC for most "bang for your buck"????
u seriously would vouch for a TC over performance tires????
only a fukin ricer poser monkey would not vouch 4 tires
TIRES R THE MOST IMPORTANT THING U CAN DO (that includes rims)
TIRES
TIRES
TIRES
TIRES
DON'T LISTEN TO FORUMS, LOOK IT UP IN PERFORMANCE ORIENTED MAGS....
THEY SAY TIRES TIRES TIRES
ask any WINNING racer....TIRES TIRES TIRES
a louder stereo is nice a tc is nice but TIRES TIRES TIRES
if u want to know how serious a person is into performance look at their TIRES TIRES TIRES!!!!!!
a turbo is nice but if they have all season tires on chrome rims they r showmen not interested in performance
you can forget your parents names but not TIRES TIRES TIRES
you can forget your anniversary but not TIRES TIRES TIRES

Old 12-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Banned
tires

Tires tires tires

Old 12-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Banned
Tires

NOT ALL SEASON TIRES! winter tires for winter, summer tires for summer and if u can track tires for the track
u don't use a spork (or foon if u prefer) to eat do u (chopsticks and fingers excluded of course)?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:24 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
agreed. a good sticky tire will give you the best bang for the buck.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:42 AM
k20 the ride... i wouldnt bother spending too much money on the L-series... especially not all motor unless you plan on running against fits and yaris all the time

Old 12-27-2008, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit

The throttle plate opens in correlation with your accelerator pedal position. Unless your plate or accel position sensor are mis-calibrated the throttle opens as much as your foot decides. Only the F/A ratio is changed based on the power required to satisfy the air stream.
Only the resolutuion of the sensors appear tio be the 'improvement' and that has nothing to do with the power or response as the computer can't read the difference in resolution anyway.
Any improvement in respose would have be in the computer, like 64 bit vs 32.
In the good old NASCAR days response was a function of movement of the accelerator compared to change in angle of the throttle plate. (you want slower response at Tally or Daytona compared to rapid at Martinsville).

Last edited by mahout; 12-27-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:16 AM
I'd go with tranny stuff. Stage 1 clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Mugen quickshifter, Skunk2 knob. 1000000x better than stock shifting...

Old 12-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by mozarwasagenius
I'm toying with the idea for some upgrades as I'm really enjoying my Sport AT What would some of you say is the most bang for the buck? By performance I mean "driving" (handling, power, fuel economy, etc) Thanks
Due to limited funds, I decided to get a dead pedal I'll keep you posted

Old 12-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
who says u don't get 100%?
where is the proof (verifiable proof FROM MORE THAN 1 PERSON not some joker who may or may not benefit from others spending there money i.e. like a poor cultist who recruits others so they don't feel as stupid or a hidden vendor or a monkey spokesman)
why do u think u don't get 100%?
THE MANUFACTURERS STATES THAT THE TC ONLY INCREASES THROTTLE RESPONSE, THEY MAKE NO CLAIMS TO MAKE MORE POWER
please provide a link where the manufacturer states that it makes MORE POWER (i.e by giving u full throttle)

monkey see monkey do
Where in my post did ever say it made more power? You really seem to have something against this TC thing, every person that makes a post about it you instantly attack them and say it doesn't make any more power. As for throttle not opening 100% I could have sworn I read a post (long before a TC was even available) about some one hooking up a scan gauge and seeing how much the throttle opened in different situating and it was not opening a 100%

Old 12-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
you do have a point with the suspension. But we all know how slow the Fit is, adding the TC for a little acceleration doesnt hurt, because we all want it, without having to go FI or drastically mod the car and make it a bit less reliable DD(having to run 91 also). But its not neccesarily to make it "FAST" because its not. LOL. and with the TC i get about 30mpg still. which is kinda weird because i usually only get about 31 before i got the TC, so i never got "great" gas mileage. but like you said, to each their own
"adding a little acceleration"?????!?!?!?!?!
u stated that in a previous post that the TC DOES NOT ADD hp or tq
only changes throttle response i.e. flooring it faster has the same effects

Old 12-27-2008, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VBP08GD3
k20 the ride... i wouldnt bother spending too much money on the L-series... especially not all motor unless you plan on running against fits and yaris all the time
lol thats the truth

Quick Reply: Most bang for the $ performance upgrade