1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Manual transmission not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Manual transmission not engaging

I tried searching around, but haven't seen this specific problem.

I have a 2008 Fit Sport, Manual trans. Just over 6k miles.

In the last couple weeks, the car has developed a problem where if I push the gas pedal down more than 50% of the way or so, on any gear, the engine revs shoot straight up to the redline and the power doesn't get to the wheels. It's extremely annoying. I thought it might have something to do with the weather getting colder or the car needing an oil change, but i've ruled those both out and this problem is very strange.

I have Honda Care and it's obviously under warranty, but I thought i'd check and see if anyone knows what could be causing this before I take it in since the dealer is quite a ways away.

Thanks!

Last edited by Conundran; 11-23-2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: clarify some confusion
Old 11-23-2008, 06:02 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
just out of curiousity is your foot completely off the gas pedal when pushing the clutch? are you running a blitz throttle controller?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Car is factory stock.

Yes, foot is off the gas when pushing the clutch.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:08 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
any wiring under the dash touching the clutch pedal? i have never heard of this type of problem except by anyone who is new to driving a stick and dbw car.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:14 PM
I doubt it, bought the car new in Feb. I'm the only one that's driven it, and i've driven manual forever (it's the ONLY way to drive imo ;P). It's been babied.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:19 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i have not heard of that problem before. sorry no tips for you.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
so the revs shoot up when you push the gas down past 50%, without touching the clutch?

i'm just trying to get the whole thing straight

Old 11-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Correct. I probably could have used a better post title.

Doesn't seem to matter what speed or rpm i'm driving at when it happens. It seems to be solely based on the position the pedal is in (or something that's influencing). Happens in any gear. When it happens, the wheels seem to either maintain or lose the power (it's hard to tell which happens) and the RPM shoots straight up until I release the pedal to a position it likes more. This just started happening all of a sudden a couple weeks ago or so.

Last edited by Conundran; 11-23-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-23-2008, 06:45 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
true. which pedal do you push down more than 50% makes the revs shoot up? could be a faulty pressure plate on the clutch.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Gas pedal. Clutch doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
i had this issue on my 07 mt fit. at about 5-6k miles my clutch went bad, same thing youre describing. Genuine Honda Accessories at Discount Prices - Honda Product Information, Videos and News i think is a good place to get yourself a new clutch. goodluck.

also. your clutch replacement will most likely not be covered by warranty, it is a wear item. mine wasnt covered. its about a 1.5-2k job including parts and labor(if you get it done at the dealership.

if i were to describe how my clutch went bad it is the same as you. if i gave it anymore than 1/4 throttle it would redline. ;/ sorry to hear about the bad news...not fun at all.

Last edited by kancerr; 11-23-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kancerr

also. your clutch replacement will most likely not be covered by warranty, it is a wear item. mine wasnt covered. its about a 1.5-2k job including parts and labor(if you get it done at the dealership.
completely disagree on that one. 6k miles isn't normal wear and tear. and for the 1.5-2k on the labor + parts...you are way off. so sorry. even when i USED to pay to have clutches done, it was no more than $500 with parts. Hell, if you lived local, I'd do it for 300 + parts

Old 11-23-2008, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
pfft thats such BS... sorry to hear that..

Old 11-23-2008, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gimme
completely disagree on that one. 6k miles isn't normal wear and tear. and for the 1.5-2k on the labor + parts...you are way off. so sorry. even when i USED to pay to have clutches done, it was no more than $500 with parts. Hell, if you lived local, I'd do it for 300 + parts
im speaking from experience, have you had your fit clutch done? you have to drop the subframe on the fit in order to do it. i took 3 different dealerships for qoutes, none of them would do it under warranty. they also qouted it at 8-9 hours at about 120$/hour. add in the 250 for the clutch(my price i posted was a little off i guess, i bought an aftermaket flywheel which was 320, so guess you can deduct that). you can man-handle it and NOT drop the subframe, but that is still suuuch a pain. easier to just drop it.

i was amazed at the prices for the job as well. i was expecting around 500 including the clutch(not with the flywheel i bought).

if you did it for 300$ plus the parts you would be kicking yourself when youre done for ripping yourself off. i was there when my friend was doing my clutch(and hes done many) and felt horrible for only payin 400$ for the job. we both figured it would be like your average clutch, couple hours tops...took as long as they qouted, 9 hours. started at 1pm, finished at 10pm ;[

Last edited by kancerr; 11-23-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Yeah, if this is true it sucks. Either way i'll have it covered. Warranty may not cover it, but Care does. I agree that for the clutch to be shot 6k in is totally ridiculous though, i'm not grinding it. I guess I should make an appointment with the dealership and have them take a look at it.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kancerr
im speaking from experience, have you had your fit clutch done? you have to drop the subframe on the fit in order to do it. i took 3 different dealerships for qoutes, non of them would do it under warranty. they also qouted it at 8-9 hours at about 120$/hour. add in the 250 for the clutch(my price i posted was a little off i guess, i bought an aftermaket flywheel which was 320, so guess you can deduct that).

i was amazed at the prices for the job as well. i was expecting around 500 including the clutch(not with the flywheel i bought).

if you did it for 300$ plus the parts you would be kicking yourself when youre done for ripping yourself off. i was there when my friend was doing my clutch(and hes done many) and felt horrible for only payin 400$ for the job.

rofl....

dropping the subframe is nothing. I had to do it on my garage floor........TWICE!

edit* 120/hr for job shop rate is ridiculous IMO. my HONDA dealer charges 75/hr

Old 11-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
also, not trying to argue here.....just stating my facts. i have been working on Hondas for aboooouut 16 years

Old 11-23-2008, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gimme
also, not trying to argue here.....just stating my facts. i have been working on Hondas for aboooouut 16 years

;] im not arguing, just sharing experience and opinions on a forum. its all good. no worries here. 120/hour is high. might be because of the area i live in? if you dont know anybody at the dealership they arent gonna give you any breaks... may be my dealerships were all just trying to rip me off. which is completely possible. i do have faith in my friends mechanic abilities tho, ive been watching his work for years.

either way tho glad that your care package will take care of it for you if your dealerships suck as bad as the ones in my area.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
well that sucks that your dealers do that to you. free enterprise isn't so great sometimes

Old 11-23-2008, 09:27 PM
damn that blows, clutch gone at 6K miles
i don't see how it would just die if you've been babying it

Quick Reply: Manual transmission not engaging