1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

"Menacing Looks and Edgy Styling"

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 PM
"Menacing Looks and Edgy Styling"

I am the happy owner of an '08 Sport in Milano Red. Just for the hell of it, I checked out Honda's presentation of the new ('09) model on the official website. The glib and fatuous phrase "menacing looks and edgy styling" jumped out at me. Then I looked at the photos. Let me tell you, am I ever happy that I bought a first-gen Fit. I know this is a matter of personal taste, and the subject has been discussed ad infinitum, ad nauseum on this forum, and no doubt the new Fit is a great little machine, but does it ever look . . . I don't know, the word "silly" comes to mind. Give me the upbeat, can-do first gen look every time.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
lol............................................... .................yes

Old 11-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I like both gens. However, I think I still like my 1st gen better. I could see myself buying a 2nd gen in a few years time...hopefully a Hybrid version!

Last edited by prelude_guy97; 11-11-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:05 PM
this is going to turn out like the other threads.... to each their own taste i like my GE8

Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Banned
I loved my GD3, but I still like my GE8. To be fair, this is "your daddy's Fit"- more concentration on comfort and interior refinements (10 cup holders? your daddy can't drink that much), telescoping steering wheel, map lights, much better seats. I like all of that stuff, but the "edge" of the GD is gone. Steering is less precise (but not bad), the AT seems a little slower in its shifts, and it is too damned quiet. It isn't quite the go-cart that the GD was. I will get used to the differences, and with the help of Megan Racing, The Progress Group (the rear anti-sway bar is in the works according to Joey Berry at Progress- I will buy the first one), and Gerry at PRM, I will get back some of what I lost in the GD. But the great thing is all of the other performance upgrades that will come from manufacturers who have a much larger market to fill with this model year. It will be unchanged, I bet, for at at least the next five years. So the shock, strut and coil over makers have a big incentive to get to work.

The new Fit is a little soft and pudgy by comparison with the 1st. Gen., but I don't think that they need to stay that way, depending on the owner. But then again, look at a '57 T-Bird compared to a '67 T-Bird. Things don't always get better with age and progress. The ad wording that the OP objects to DO make me want to gag.

Last edited by manxman; 11-11-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
it may not be to everyones taste, but its not really a life changing event when a someone with a gd3 proclaims their dislike for the ge8.

it techincally is a better car from all other respects over the gd3, except maybe performance.

but MOST people in the automotive community would argue that it makes more sense to have more comfort and anemities in a car like the fit than performance.

i love my gd3, but i wish it was a little safer like the ge8.

the styling, wether you like it or not, IS edgier though. enough to make some of us dislike it.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by eldaino
it may not be to everyones taste, but its not really a life changing event when a someone with a gd3 proclaims their dislike for the ge8.

it techincally is a better car from all other respects over the gd3, except maybe performance.

but MOST people in the automotive community would argue that it makes more sense to have more comfort and anemities in a car like the fit than performance.

i love my gd3, but i wish it was a little safer like the ge8.

the styling, wether you like it or not, IS edgier though. enough to make some of us dislike it.
I know that my original remarks are not "life-changing" or particularly significant. I was just registering a gut reaction to stupid ad copy and a redesign that, at least on the exterior, is less attractive (to my eye) than the original -- something that happens in the real world all the time. I'm just glad I got the first-gen car, which is adequately comfortable and safe for me.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
A lot of first gen owners feel this way, and I certainly share and understand your perceptions. It does seem goofy they want to emphasize the "edgy" styling of the newest batch of Fits. I hardly was looking for that when I bought my '08.

There is something warmer when you see the front end of the first generation Fits, almost like it's a friendlier car. They took away some of that with the sleeker look and the cat eye headlights versus those round ones.

I'm happy with my 1st gen, but I imagine there are plenty of those happy as well with the 2nd incarnation. It's a good car no matter how you slice it. Just a matter of taste and timing I suppose!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by BrettC
A lot of first gen owners feel this way, and I certainly share and understand your perceptions. It does seem goofy they want to emphasize the "edgy" styling of the newest batch of Fits. I hardly was looking for that when I bought my '08.

There is something warmer when you see the front end of the first generation Fits, almost like it's a friendlier car. They took away some of that with the sleeker look and the cat eye headlights versus those round ones.

I'm happy with my 1st gen, but I imagine there are plenty of those happy as well with the 2nd incarnation. It's a good car no matter how you slice it. Just a matter of taste and timing I suppose!
I am sure that it is easier to be happy with the '09 Fit if you didn't own the older model and this is your first experience with the car. The bulged fenders and arced hood hood of 1st. Gen cars provide a warmer personality than the more slab sides and creased flat angles of the new hood. I don't dislike my '09, just liked my '07 better.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I think they are off-base with the word "edgy." I think the GE8's look mini-van-like, more so than the GD3s. Especially in white. And "menacing" is not a word I want to describe my car, I'm just not that type. I guess that's the road-rage demographic...

Old 11-15-2008, 08:10 PM
I think that "edgy" was also used to describe the styling of the Toyota Matrix. (I looked at the Matrix before deciding on a Fit this past spring.) Anyway, if I hadn't gotten an '08, I bet I'd be very, very happy with an '09, even if I don't like the looks as much as the first gen model.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by Juliane
I think they are off-base with the word "edgy." I think the GE8's look mini-van-like, more so than the GD3s. Especially in white. And "menacing" is not a word I want to describe my car, I'm just not that type. I guess that's the road-rage demographic...
i think the gd3's look like a miniature odyssey. I love my gd3, it has a very warm look, but I do think it looks more minivanish than the ge8. The ge8's look elongated in comparison...in my opinion.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
My gf WAS planning to get a GE8 since she find it extremely difficult to drive my GD3 (lowered, mugen front lip.. the works). I kinda liked the GE8 at first too and was supportive to her decision (afterall, she is getting a fit and not a *ahem* matrix), but then when we ask the sales to parked a GD3 next to a GE8... we cant help but notice how much longer the front fender of a GE8 is compare to a USDM GD3...

Obviously, we can do a JDM conversion to the GE8, but then we already have a JDM GD3, so most likely the only mods the GE8 wil get is sunroof, tint, and HID... (that is, if we DO buy a GE8)

The GE8 is a nice car, but i definately think the GD3 looks more "friendly"... the "bubble headlights" is what makes the fit special imo XD

If there is one single thing I hat eabout the fit... its actually the headlights as well.. I hate H4~ i just hope honda can seperate hi/lo beams.

Last edited by Guinness; 11-18-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Guinness
My gf WAS planning to get a GE8 since she find it extremely difficult to drive my GD3 (lowered, mugen front lip.. the works). I kinda liked the GE8 at first too and was supportive to her decision (afterall, she is getting a fit and not a *ahem* matrix), but then when we ask the sales to parked a GD3 next to a GE8... we cant help but notice how much longer the front fender of a GE8 is compare to a USDM GD3...

Obviously, we can do a JDM conversion to the GE8, but then we already have a JDM GD3, so most likely the only mods the GE8 wil get is sunroof, tint, and HID... (that is, if we DO buy a GE8)

The GE8 is a nice car, but i definately think the GD3 looks more "friendly"... the "bubble headlights" is what makes the fit special imo XD

If there is one single thing I hat eabout the fit... its actually the headlights as well.. I hate H4~ i just hope honda can seperate hi/lo beams.
I think it's more than the few inches of extra bumper...The roof line is so much longer on the '09s...That L-O-N-G windshield that is so stretched out...The whole front end gets a stretched look that makes it look way longer than the GD3.

Name:  DSC02112.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  180.9 KB

Name:  DSC02111.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  173.4 KB

And then there's the back end...

Name:  DSC02116.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  153.4 KB

They are 2 completely different cars, IMO. No relationship except the Honda brand and they kept the name "Fit." If I had no choice, I might drive an 09 but I'm darned glad I found an '08 in the nick of time.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
For the simple fact of aftermarket parts and options, the '00-'08 Honda Fit is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:42 PM
i like the look of my fit...but i would like some of the features of the 09. so i would probably drive an 09, if i didn't get the gd3 in time. I don't hate anything, honda did a really good job with the ge8. I just have a preference for the look of the gd3

Old 11-22-2008, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
yea, but the new fit just came out... there's going to be a lot more parts for it on the US market...

Old 02-28-2011, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
ive been able to fix some of the annoyances of my 07 fit sport. If you're handy & into diy check out some of my other posts

Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by egw84
ive been able to fix some of the annoyances of my 07 fit sport. If you're handy & into diy check out some of my other posts

The last post in this thread is over 2 years old...