1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Clear coat peeling

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Clear coat peeling

A couple of weeks ago I was washing my baby and I notice the water kind of fanning out. I turned the water off and notice the clear boat peeling off the DS passenger door. I called the dealer right away and they told me to drop by. They took photos, sent them to Honda Canada and told me it would be covered. I made the appointment for the work and dropped it of yesterday. They said they would call me later that day to let me know how long they needed the car. When they didn't call I gave them till noon today, when I didn't hear anything I called them back. I was also looking for a quote on a door ding on the same door. When I called she told me it would be covered for free. When I asked how long till I got my car back she put me through to her manager. Long story short they will have my car for at least two weeks. The manager then told me that Honda Canada is saying it is the dealers issue and the dealer was saying it was honda Canada's issue. We bought the car with 3500kms on it used and the dealer had that door fixed already. Well that is what I said to the manager. The only thing he could say to me is "you said it not me" Very poor repair job and now they will be painting over half the car to make sure everything matches and nothing peels again over the years. I just hope that when I pick the car up I have no bill. Poop will hit the fan if I do. Anyone else have any clear coat issues on the 2007? Just incase it hasn't been repaired already. I will keep everyone posted. I now drive a 2008 civic loaner and just want my Fit back! Sorry long one

Old 09-11-2008, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
I have also noticed the clear coat peeling from the hood around the left side edge, and on the roof edge right above the driver door. My car is 2008 Nighthawk Black Pearl and I bought it brand new, had it six months and just had the first oil change done about 3 weeks ago.

Is this something I can have covered under warranty? Is it different for Canada and US?

Old 09-11-2008, 03:28 PM
I would go back to the dealer you purchased it from. It should be covered under the 3 year/ 60,000km which is standard warranty. The paint should not go south this soon.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Just an update. got the car back yesterday and the paint job looks great however the mirrors, handles and rear bumper no longer match. Argued with the body shop and they just told me that is the way it is. Accessories dont always match on repaints. I mean noticable to me but not to someone walking by. I will try to take some pics when I am able to wash off the tree sap. No washing for 2 weeks.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
that sucks but the paint has to cure.. def post pics then!

Old 09-22-2008, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
The guy I know at a body shop did some body work on my hatch and rear bumper, and when I brought up clear coat issues with him while we were working on the car. He said that essentially there is nothing I could have done to cause the clear coat to peel already. When I wash the car by hand next, I'm gonna make note of all the little spots that are doing it. I was trying to find them again this weekend, but the car was dirty from all the dust from the body shop.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:40 PM
okay guys .. paint will and should match on all on car painted issues.. When you remove the panels (plastic ones) it is recomended you add a flex ajent to the paint. Howver, if they were painted on the car it was not needed. I restore/ paint cars as a hobby and went to school to do it years ago.. I have noticed my fit is very vulnerable to paint chips but no peeling issues as of yet. Id hate to have to spray the BBP and expect it to match.. But of info. mteallic and pearl paints aplied by different painters will never match exactly due to technique. but if they painted the entire side...... should look great..

Dan

Old 10-15-2009, 03:26 PM
i have a 07 fit and the theres a chip on the roof of my car, would you think the dealer will cover it? its been a while never had the chance to take it back

Old 10-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by madhatch
okay guys .. paint will and should match on all on car painted issues.. When you remove the panels (plastic ones) it is recomended you add a flex ajent to the paint. Howver, if they were painted on the car it was not needed. I restore/ paint cars as a hobby and went to school to do it years ago.. I have noticed my fit is very vulnerable to paint chips but no peeling issues as of yet. Id hate to have to spray the BBP and expect it to match.. But of info. mteallic and pearl paints aplied by different painters will never match exactly due to technique. but if they painted the entire side...... should look great..

Dan
technically it doesnt matter who paints the car or with what paint they use as long as the adjacent panel was blended there will never be color issues however mirrors,handles, spoilers, bumpers etc are prone to being different tones because these parts are normally painted off the car and sometimes painted with a different batch of paint and as for the chip the dealer will not cover that the will blame it on road debris. i paint cars for a living for the past 12yrs so i should know.