1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 11:48 AM
Crank No Start

Hey All, I'm very puzzled by this situation, and I'll do my best to explain...

Last week the misses went to work, and when she came out after to start her car (2008 Honda Fit Base w/ ~105K) and go home the car wouldn't start. Luckily, her friend was able to take her home.
I go to look at it the next day, I get it to start with starting fluid, so I replace the fuel pump. This still doesn't start the car, and I later find out that her key, for whatever reason, stopped starting the car.
We got the key replaced and programmed, and all is good.
Except.... It isn't.
Ever since we got the car going again it's been having issues with lurching forward to the point where the car refuses to start now and it actually died in the road yesterday. Car would start, but it would sputter out and die within the second that it started.

We got the car towed to my place, and I did the valves, because they were long overdue (we've had her fit for about 2 years, and it'd been about that long since I've done them).
Many of the exhaust valves were out of spec, and some of the Intake valves were out. After that, I put the car back together, and we still have a no start situation.

A year or so back, her car was having this same issue, however, it had a code to replace the crank sensor, so we replaced it, naturally. Problem was, the car kept lurching forward and stalling out. Eventually the car learned the new sensor, and the studding did fade.

But again, here we are again, but now it's worse. I've been looking at the forums, and I don't believe it's the spark plugs or coils, since I've actually replaced them about a year(ish) ago, and I was able to start the car on stating fluid.

Main thing is, I'm unsure as to where to go from here. I've recently replaced:
Key, there are no issues there.
Fuel pump, car fired right up and worked well for a day before stuttering again ( I don't believe the fuel pump is the issue, and both of the relays are clicking when you go to start the car, so again, not sure that it's a fuel issue).
Crank Sensor (I replaced this originally about a year ago, but I replaced it again last night, because it had issues when we originally installed it, and I thought... just maybe...)
Spark Plugs and Coils. These were replaced about a year ago, maybe a year and a half ago, I don't see them causing issues either, but again, I don't know.

If anybody has anything to add, I'd love to hear. I feel like I've been looking at this issue for a long time now. Me and the misses are really down on our luck currently, and all this really isn't helping. Any help will be appreciated.

Quick Summary Again:
Replaced the fuel pump and key recently. Car keeps "stuttering" while driving. When the car feels like it wants to shift, it feels like the car looses all the engine power (not literally, the battery is fine). Until it came to a head recently where the car died in traffic. The car would start, but died after being on for a few seconds (if it would start, usually it wouldn't). Last night I replaced the crank sensor and adjusted the valves with no luck. Not sure where else to look. All the fuses for engine and fuel seem to be good.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Will the car start and run when you are holding gas pedal partially depressed?
A shot in the dark: stuck open EGR valve (Fit OBD2 is not detecting excessive EGR flow so there will be no codes for that) Where did you get your coils from and what is their brand name? same for the gas pump!