1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2008 honda fit sport engine squeaking when AC is on

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 01:37 PM
Exclamation 2008 honda fit sport engine squeaking when AC is on

Hello,

I notice that my car is making a squeaking/ squealing noise every time my AC is on. I can drive normally without the AC, no noise. Once I turn on the AC is seems to push power from the engine and that's when I hear the squeaking (like a cricket).
The noise intensifies when the engine is forced by the AC, then the noise slows.
I took to the mechanic and he inspected the belt said it was fine. He changed the pulley and still making the noise!

I recorded a video without the AC and then with the AC on (around 1min).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Old 09-09-2021, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by pattcaroline
Hello,

I notice that my car is making a squeaking/ squealing noise every time my AC is on. I can drive normally without the AC, no noise. Once I turn on the AC is seems to push power from the engine and that's when I hear the squeaking (like a cricket).
The noise intensifies when the engine is forced by the AC, then the noise slows.
I took to the mechanic and he inspected the belt said it was fine. He changed the pulley and still making the noise!

I recorded a video without the AC and then with the AC on (around 1min).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NbYou2dAWo

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
I just finished fixing my AC which went out by replacing the AC clutch and coil with OEM. I had a bit of squealing when the serpentine belt was too loose, so I tightened up the tensioner/alternator bracket and that fixed it. The chirping sounds metallic in nature. It might be possible that the bearing is bad on the AC clutch if there's a metallic chirping going on, which would reveal itself when there's a load on the AC (when it is engaged)? Maybe someone else could provide additional input. This is my first post btw so grain of salt is needed.
-Daniel

Old 09-11-2021, 06:05 PM
I'm having this same problem. The belt is in good condition and I've tightened it a few times (08 Sport) but still get a squeaking noise, especially when it rains. I'll be following this and will let you know if I figure anything out (replacing the idler, water pump, and drive belt soon)