1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

08 Fit Sport Mystery Coolant Loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 10:07 AM
08 Fit Sport Mystery Coolant Loss

I checked coolant in reservoir and it was at min mark. I then pulled the radiator cap and could not see coolant to the top. I filled reservoir up to max and let wife drive it. After rechecking coolant it is back at the minimum mark again and still cannot see fluid at top of radiator. Car is running driving normal cannot see smoke or any indication of a obvious leak. Also dont smell any coolant under hood. Should I fill radiator and reservoir to level and just monitor it? I know car has a temp light when cold but is there a low coolant or hot light? Car has about 173k. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2021, 12:10 AM
I believe there is a hot light. When was the coolant last changed? It can take several reservoir refills to purge all the air out of the system. I'd fill the radiator and reservoir again, and monitor as you suggest. I haven't heard of a Fit blowing a head gasket.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:25 PM
The temp light starts blinking when the car is above 110+ C and goes solid red when overheats. You can get a cheap obd2 scanner to keep track of your temps if you want. Get your radiator system pressure tested. Coolant lost can be a tricky thing because a hose way in the back could be leaking without you knowing. I have experienced this and without the pressure test I would never have found that leak.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:15 PM
I'm going to chime in here and bump this thread back to the top as I'm having the same issue.

I had my oil changed at a Valvoline Instant Oil Change spot (my preferred since not doing my own oil changes since moving to LA). The "techs" there are really good salespeople and try to game you on everything; it's almost comical.

That said, it was helpful when they told me that my coolant level was way low: the reservoir was empty. They told me I'd need the radiator replaced () and that they'd give me 10% off. To be fair, maybe it does need to be replaced, but that's clearly not the first step. I've had no overheating issues (Los Angeles summer traffic) and the heat still blows hot.

So, what IS the first step? A solid flush and fill and keep an eye on it?

Old 08-12-2021, 08:37 PM
The first step is to report those assholes to the Department of Consumer Affairs and give them a terrible Yelp review.

The second step is to open the radiator cap (when the car is cold) and see if you can see coolant. And add coolant to the overflow tank, then check after driving to see if the tank is empty again.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
The first step is to report those assholes to the Department of Consumer Affairs and give them a terrible Yelp review.

The second step is to open the radiator cap (when the car is cold) and see if you can see coolant. And add coolant to the overflow tank, then check after driving to see if the tank is empty again.
Haha I don't think I could go through with the bad yelp reivew... they're all kids! And it's quite comical / feels like a historical throwback the way they shout back and forth to each other to communicate oil types, air pressures, etc. I've been to a few locations and it's the same jig each time so assuming it's a corporate thing.

I'm assuming they don't rip off too many people, though this is LA so who knows. They were downright confused when I asked them to grab a sample of the old oil for a Blackstone analysis and from that point forward, I was offered no up sales.

And noted on the second step. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:54 PM
Kids? The owner is either pushing them to try to steal or at least allowing it to happen.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Kids? The owner is either pushing them to try to steal or at least allowing it to happen.
I mean, it's a national chain, but choose your own battles, I guess.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:44 PM
Franchise or corporate-owned? Either way, a thief is a thief.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:52 PM
I had a similar problem with the hot temp light coming on after changing the coolant, make sure you burp the radiator which can take 10-20 minutes

Old 08-28-2021, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Is like to chime in with my experience. Whenever I have changed my coolant, I do the burp procedure and the whole thing recommended in the manual. I the fill to the full mark. For the next week, I always notic my coolant going down slightly as more air is being purged or « dry areas » are being supplied with coolant. I keep leftover coolant and simply refill as necessary. I changed my coolant about 2 years ago and just checked it and it’s right at the full mark. You might want to take a look at your engine oil on the next change. It should be black and opaque but not chocolate coloured or milky looking. That could be the symptom of a blown head gasket which I think is very rare with the GD3. Never heard of one myself.

Old 09-20-2021, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
I'm coming into this awfully late, but you can rent / borrow a toolset for pressure testing your cooling system and radiator cap from most of the chain auto parts stores. Won't find all issues, but it's good for tracing down pinhole leaks and such.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by hill8570
I'm coming into this awfully late, but you can rent / borrow a toolset for pressure testing your cooling system and radiator cap from most of the chain auto parts stores. Won't find all issues, but it's good for tracing down pinhole leaks and such.
Good idea!