1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Just bought a Jazz!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020 | 11:30 AM
|
5 Year Member
Just bought a Jazz!

Hey there fit freaks. Long time lurker here posting for the first time in well a really long time. I bought myself a GD3 last week. And I'm super amped I picked it up today and it's almost pristine. It's a 2008 GD3, L15A and only 120000km on the clock. Guessing this was a granny wagon because it's in excellent condition and insane low milage for a 2008 car. I bought my 2007 GD1 in 2010, and this one is in better condition 10 years later than my GD1 was back then when I got it.

I'm now retiring my 220000km old GD1 who is looking a little aged an worn out. One thing that surprised me is just how much more lively the GD3 is compared to the GD 1.But I suppose a 26% increase in power does make a difference.

Something tells me we are a bit of a Honda family.
Family photo. My Fiancés GE (apparently a GG6 on the ID plate (L13Z1) called Grey Lady, my new GD3 which I have dubbed Jazz'elle and my mother's CR-V 1.5T called Sapphire.

So I always wanted to do a few mods to my GD1. But I could never justify spending money on modding the rather anemic 1.3Dsi motor. Now that I have the 15 I wanted to consider a few mods. I've been lurking around the forums trying to work out some things to do.

In terms of performance I was thinking a cold air intake and a full exhaust including either high Flow cat or a full cat delete. But I've been told that the ECU is a bit too smart for its own good and it will compensate for the mods and go back to almost stock power after a few drive cycles. Is it worth it to do some NA mods on this car?

The other avenue with regards to performance is L15B7. I love my moms CR-V. It's a big car but that engine has enough power to keep it feeling lively. It helps it had a Hondata flash as well to free up some ponies. And I kinda want one in my GD.

I did swap my 195/55s from my GD1 onto this car. The tires were only a few weeks old before I got rammed by a minibus taxi (if you are from or are familiar with South Africa you know what I am talking about)
Would it be worth to do a few NA mods until I can save for the L15B7? Or just save everything for a swap and ignore NA mods.
I also want to do a few interior mods. I would like to fit an updated head unit, something that can do Apple car play and Android auto and a back-up camera. Could the stock battery handle an updated head unit?

Why would I want to mod the Jazz? Because I love it and I don't have the money for a Civic, but I feel a few mods can get it to the level of a nice civic for less money.

Old 07-26-2020 | 03:04 PM
You've found a nice Jazz! Congratulations!

Old 07-26-2020 | 03:09 PM
It looks to be in great shape! Congratulations.

Old 07-26-2020 | 03:19 PM
|
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TnTkr
You've found a nice Jazz! Congratulations!
Really amped thanks. I probably could of gotten something nicer but I just love these cars.
I had my first problem with it today. I think the fuel float got stuck from being in the car lot for a while. So I ran out of fuel on the highway! and was still pointing at a quarter full.

I filled it up, played whack'a'mole with a few speed bumps and managed to get it to read! So now I got it to read again. So that's great. Will have to keep an eye on it in the coming days just make sure I don't get caught with an empty tank again.

Old 07-27-2020 | 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by Alastair_S1D
Will have to keep an eye on it in the coming days just make sure I don't get caught with an empty tank again.
Or have some spare fuel with you.

Old 07-27-2020 | 01:13 AM
|
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TnTkr
Or have some spare fuel with you.
That too. But I am hoping it's fixed. Will see when the needle starts to reach the point where it got stuck the last time.

Now I want to start looking at some mods for this car to make it my own. I could never justify it on my GD1. But this cars paint and general condition is so good I have a platform I can fiddle with.

Old 07-27-2020 | 04:44 AM
|
5 Year Member
Rewire Foglamp?

So I noticed the foglamps weren't working. So I had a dig around and pulled my foglamps out my GD1 (which were working) to install on the GD3. Turns out whatever ruddy Tart worked on or owned the car ripped the wires right out the Foglamp when they tried to replace it instead of just unplugging it. So does anyone know how I can rewire the connector? Or maybe showme how to unplug the connector off the wires so I can swap the connector to the GD3 so I can put my Foglamps in?

Old 07-27-2020 | 03:27 PM
hey, that’s a great looking car! Can’t wait to see what ya do to it, as an American I’m pretty dang jealous of the euro front end and bumpers!

you should check out this website: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.html

it has the service manual for uk/euro GD fits, im pretty sure the wiring schematics are on there too! Even for working on my usdm fit it’s been a hugely valuable resource- saving me from wading thru the forum or having to ask a lot of my questions

Old 07-27-2020 | 03:54 PM
|
5 Year Member
Talking

Originally Posted by NEGD3
hey, that’s a great looking car! Can’t wait to see what ya do to it, as an American I’m pretty dang jealous of the euro front end and bumpers!

you should check out this website: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.html

it has the service manual for uk/euro GD fits, im pretty sure the wiring schematics are on there too! Even for working on my usdm fit it’s been a hugely valuable resource- saving me from wading thru the forum or having to ask a lot of my questions
Its the reason why I love the Jazz so much. It was this body kit that made me look twice and go "Thats stock?" So yeah. Now I just need to figure out what I want to do with it, besides driving it of course.

Old 07-28-2020 | 01:13 AM
|
5 Year Member
Nice thing about the front end it you could probably hide an intercooler in there. ​​​​​​

​​​​​Which leads me to what do I actually want to do with the car. Because this is my daily keeping it reliable is important. Which means I am leaning to mild NA mods. An intake, exhaust with hi flow or cat delete, R18 TB, maybe a mild cam and then a tune to Rev it out to about 7K? Would the stock bits handle spinning to 7K?

I saw the stock rods and I shudder to think about those under a Turbo. Like man. So for reliability sake I don't think I would touch a Turbo without doing the bottom end. I also think that once you have a Turbo on you need to start thinking about transmission as well? Running out of gears once you have the power seems like it could be a real thing on the 5MT.

The other thing I thought was L15B7 swap. It will keep stock reliability. But I think biggest thing on this option is simply the sheer costs involved. Although this is also my favorite option too.

Old 07-28-2020 | 01:44 PM
Sounds like we have very similar goals/dreams for out cars - and they’re even the same year and color!

id love to do a k24 or l15b swap!! but I just know it would be too big of a project for me... I ain’t really got that kind of time or money unfortunately...too many other projects..like my 4 boats...

but doing a little work to the L115 would be within my skill set and budget, I like N/A cars so thats the kind of modifications I’d lean towards, but a lil turbo or supercharger would be a lot of fun (until you grenade the motor lol)

im pretty sure most folks with turbo and s/c setups are running stock engines, i haven’t looked too hard tho.

Old 07-28-2020 | 03:03 PM
|
5 Year Member
Sounds like we have very similar goals/dreams for out cars - and they’re even the same year and color!

id love to do a k24 or l15b swap!! but I just know it would be too big of a project for me... I ain’t really got that kind of time or money unfortunately...too many other projects..like my 4 boats...

but doing a little work to the L115 would be within my skill set and budget, I like N/A cars so thats the kind of modifications I’d lean towards, but a lil turbo or supercharger would be a lot of fun (until you grenade the motor lol)

im pretty sure most folks with turbo and s/c setups are running stock engines, i haven’t looked too hard tho.
I see a lot of the guys who did make intakes and stuff for GD are gone and don't exist anymore. And I can't justify the money for a WEAPON R intake + intake manifold. For that money I can go turbo almost. :/

I wonder what R18TB + Cold air + exhaust+ tune will do.

​​​​

Old 07-28-2020 | 03:08 PM
|
5 Year Member
The other thing is I live at 5500ft. So there is also that.

Old 07-29-2020 | 08:12 AM
Someone on the forums here cut open a weapon-r intake manifold for a swap project and it looked awful inside. Did not seem like a very quality piece, I doubt you’re missing out on much other than the “bling factor”

Old 07-29-2020 | 08:46 AM
|
5 Year Member
Someone on the forums here cut open a weapon-r intake manifold for a swap project and it looked awful inside. Did not seem like a very quality piece, I doubt you’re missing out on much other than the “bling factor”
It's the only aftermarket manifold there is tho. Unless there is something else. But I haven't found much in my Google searches.

Anyway as I said in your thread (which I don't want to hijack) I also want to try hit like 125-130hp. I wouldn't mind 100KW flat (133ish Hp). But I also don't want to dump huge cash since ultimately I want to go L15B7 if I can. So bang for buck is going to be the order of the day here. I don't know if there are still Fit Freaks with GDs that have parts they are willing to sell and ship to South Africa.
So I was thinking:
*CAI
*R18 throttle body
*Catless Exhaust
*Header? (how much difference will a header make?)
And tune and shift revlimit from 6500 to 7000.(what are the best options for tuning. I can't even confirm if Hondata will work for non US Jazzes?)

Old 07-29-2020 | 05:50 PM
I think you’ve got the right idea, but I’m not sure how wise it would be to raise the rev limit on a motor with stock internals, but that’s not my area of expertise. I’m sure there’s been discussion of it in the past - there’s a stickied thread in the GD subforum all about hondata and folks experience with it - altho you raise a good point, I don’t know if it’s compatible with your ECU.

Old 07-30-2020 | 02:45 AM
|
5 Year Member
I think you’ve got the right idea, but I’m not sure how wise it would be to raise the rev limit on a motor with stock internals, but that’s not my area of expertise. I’m sure there’s been discussion of it in the past - there’s a stickied thread in the GD subforum all about hondata and folks experience with it - altho you raise a good point, I don’t know if it’s compatible with your ECU.
Well I think I read somewhere that the stock motor was good for 8K before things started breaking. I can't remember where I think it was here on Fit Freaks somewhere. But yeah. I think just 500 more should be fine especially if you free up the engines ability to breath.

Is the R18 TB drive by wire? I'm looking on Ebay and all the R18 TBs look like they are DBW. :/

Old 07-30-2020 | 09:57 AM
Oof oh yeah - your car is drive-by-throttle-cable, isn’t it?

US fits got DBW throttle bodies. I know that some JDM fits got throttle cables though.

I’ve always been fancied an cable throttle car with some ITBs...like this GD

Old 07-31-2020 | 08:52 AM
|
5 Year Member
Oof oh yeah - your car is drive-by-throttle-cable, isn’t it?

US fits got DBW throttle bodies. I know that some JDM fits got throttle cables though.

I’ve always been fancied an cable throttle car with some ITBs...like this GD https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vBjPJiHdnu8
Eh. Probably not. I've seen a few posts where a lot of guys on FitFreak reckon the stock 50mm body is good for the sort of power that we would make NA so.....