1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Possible solution to ignition problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 08:21 PM
Possible solution to ignition problem?

I found an exact fit replacement ignition that comes with two keys from O'Reilly's for under $400.( I'm having problems getting my key to go into my ignition). My question is this: is there a way to get this ignition from ORiley's to work considering that the key is supposed to be programmed? I don't get it...

Old 07-21-2020, 09:47 PM
I think you'll still have to get it programmed. The ECU recognizes the chip in the key. You might be able to get away with transferring the old chip into the new key, then you wouldn't need to reprogram.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by petelite
I think you'll still have to get it programmed. The ECU recognizes the chip in the key. You might be able to get away with transferring the old chip into the new key, then you wouldn't need to reprogram.
Thanks for replying, this is all new to me. Love the Honda Fit but totally regret buying it now... Looks like I'd have to spend more on getting the ignition & key right then I paid for the car!
I don't quite understand how the chip could be transferred into the new key – it just looks like a plain old school key. Here's a link to what I'm talkin about, the O Reillys ignition set:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...assembly&pos=3

I'm super confused, the dude at O'Reilly's claimed that I could simply install it and use it without programming, which of course doesn't make sense. But then again i guess people who work at auto parts stores these days often don't know what they're talkin about.

At this point I've just left the key in the ignition, scared to pull it out.
Man this sucks, I was so happy to get this car! On another note, if there's anyone in the North Carolina area interested in buying a well maintained all black 2007 Honda Fit with 200,000 miles on it and the manual transmission, with nicely tinted windows, feel free to hit me up! I'd probably take $2000 for it right now -- if I don't find an easy inexpensive fix for this I'm just getting rid of this car and going back to Toyotas.
I had hoped to update it with some nice rims and a modern infotainment Center, but screw it ...this ignition situation has me already fed up with it.
Also, the drivers side door cant be opened w/the key, either. Other than the aforementioned problems though the car actually drives and runs wonderfully -- fun to drive!

I know that the car is 13 years old but geez the last thing I expected to go wrong would be this!
Thanks again.