1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Bent clutch fork?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 10:02 AM
Bent clutch fork?

Hi all. I bought an 08 base with a very worn clutch and slipping clutch. Only ever drove it onto a trailer and into my garage. I just finished up installing a new flywheel, clutch, pp, pilot bearing, and release bearing. Put everything together and the clutch release fork ends up hitting the edge of the bellhousing it goes through before the clutch disengages. All of the parts were OEM style replacements from Rock Auto. I've done at least a dozen clutch replacements on a variety of cars and never run into an issue like this before. I did as much trouble shooting as I can with things still installed, and I am starting to suspect that the clutch release fork is bent.

I will disassemble and dig in to diagnose in a few days, but I was wondering if someone on here could post pictures of what their clutch forks look like in the meantime. It would be awesome if it was a picture while uninstalled, but installed would still be super helpful. I have searched extensively on here as well as Google and could only find a few pictures, none of which was a good angle to determine anything from.

Thanks in advance all.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:33 PM
Follow up. Finally got a replacement clutch fork a month or so after my original post, and the one that came with the car was indeed bent. However, it was only bent a slight amount and the new clutch fork did not solve the problem. The root cause of the problem ended up being that the clutch disc that was shipped with the clutch kit that I bought was too thick. I ended up purchasing a clutch kit from a different manufacturer and everything now works as it should.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member
Good to now, thanks.