1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Help! Honda Fit Sport 2008 overheating/loosing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 03:21 PM
Help! Honda Fit Sport 2008 overheating/loosing coolant

so I bought a used Honda Fit and I’m having an overheating problem. initially it was thought that the radiator was failing (not the case. According to my mechanic radiator is in good working order) we replaced the water pump, 3 heater coils and the serpentine belt. The thermostat was also replaced, radiator was flushed, coolant changed out and topped off. All the hoses are in new condition and the oil is clean no leaks (clean under oil cap and inside head as well) there’s also no sign of water/oil leaking into coolant or vice Vera. Both fans are working.

my mechanic believes it’s a bad head gasket/ warped head as the radiator isn’t holding coolant it’s boiling out and the heat indicator keeps coming on. The heat isn’t staying on at lights it gets ice cold and when it does finally heat up the indicator comes on. There WAS also white smoke/ steam coming from exhaust. (He’s checked the radiator and verified its good) he recommended the quick fix of blue devil head gasket sealer as I can’t afford to replace the engine. We did that and followed the directions to the letter! It’s still overheating!!!!
Been thinking it’s the heater core. Any tips, tricks, advice or ways to be sure and fix this would be awesome also anyone who can give detailed instructions on how to replace a heater core without having to pull the dash please speak up!

Last edited by Chickie669; 03-22-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chickie669
he recommended the quick fix of blue devil head gasket sealer as I can’t afford to replace the engine.
Get a new mechanic immediately. This mechanic has a license or is a "mechanic"?

Did he/she do a compression test to check the head gasket?

Any tips, tricks, advice or ways to be sure and fix this would be awesome also anyone who can give detailed instructions on how to replace a heater core without having to pull the dash please speak up!
Now that you put that junk in the system I would replace the motor.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:03 PM
Hey 👋 he’s a licensed mechanic and he was only trying to help as my income is low atm.
I’m not sure if he did or not.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
with coolant circulation on fiot the blue devil won't work. the exhaust leak to the radiator can be tested by using smog station probe over a radiator filling neck; if it shows high HC the HG is leaking.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:29 PM
Probably wouldn’t know it’s the head gasket unless you pull it but if it is and you keep driving the car you might end up cracking the head or the block from the over heating. No cheap fix but resurfacing a warped head if possible is a heck of a lot cheaper. I’m sure you don’t have an extra car so sounds like a a real pickle. You could probably smell the exhaust and see if it has a sweet burnt smell(coolant) if that’s a thing? I have yet to experience that. But I also heard if your valves aren’t adjusted correctly like to tight you can cause excessive heat build up in the block then blows a head gasket so might have been a domino effect. But keep us updated with a prognosis please.