1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2008 Fit Weird electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
2008 Fit Weird electrical problem

My 2008 Fit Base has recently started to have an unusual electrical problem - not sure if related to noise issue I have been having. When I'm driving or idling, the electrical system seems to die for just a split second then recovers. When driving,, the radio loses power but I don't seem to see any other symptoms. When idling, the lights dim, the gas gauge goes down and the and the engine starts to shut down - just as if you turned off the key. But it recovers before fully shutting down. Thus far, it's intermittent but sure makes me nervous. Whatever it is, it is not making the engine light turn on.

I had recently posted about a whining noise that appears to be coming from one of the objects driven by the serpentine belt. This noise is worse when the car is cold and better after you've driven. It's not horribly loud but noticeable to someone who drives the car every day. From listening with my mechanics stethoscope, I thought perhaps it might be the idler pulley but now with this problem I'm wondering if the alternator. But if the alternator, you wouldn't have this sudden interruption of power would you? Unless maybe something internal to the alternator shorts for a brief second loading down the 12V? When I measure the battery voltage with car running, it reads about 14.3V which I think is ok.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I can and probably will bring it to the shop but if intermittent and not throwing the engine light, how can they tell?

Old 02-29-2020, 03:45 PM
Have you checked the battery connections? Can you test the charging system? How old is the battery?
AutoZone can help you check these things if you don't have a multimeter.

​​​​​
Originally Posted by geepondy
My 2008 Fit Base has recently started to have an unusual electrical problem - not sure if related to noise issue I have been having. When I'm driving or idling, the electrical system seems to die for just a split second then recovers. When driving,, the radio loses power but I don't seem to see any other symptoms. When idling, the lights dim, the gas gauge goes down and the and the engine starts to shut down - just as if you turned off the key. But it recovers before fully shutting down. Thus far, it's intermittent but sure makes me nervous. Whatever it is, it is not making the engine light turn on.

I had recently posted about a whining noise that appears to be coming from one of the objects driven by the serpentine belt. This noise is worse when the car is cold and better after you've driven. It's not horribly loud but noticeable to someone who drives the car every day. From listening with my mechanics stethoscope, I thought perhaps it might be the idler pulley but now with this problem I'm wondering if the alternator. But if the alternator, you wouldn't have this sudden interruption of power would you? Unless maybe something internal to the alternator shorts for a brief second loading down the 12V? When I measure the battery voltage with car running, it reads about 14.3V which I think is ok.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I can and probably will bring it to the shop but if intermittent and not throwing the engine light, how can they tell?

Old 02-29-2020, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Check all your grounds. Check to make sure the belt that drives the alternator is tight and not worn. It could be slipping.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you. If the belt was slipping and the alternator stopped turning while belt was in slip ode, would that cause the electric power to suddenly die?

I know one time, my positive battery terminal was loose and the way I found this is my radio kept losing it's saved settings. In this case I'm not losing the saved settings but it stops and restarts.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Alternator wiring connections? 80 amp fuse on positive battery terminal? Ignition switch?