1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

AC on and off (mostly off)-2008

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 04:06 PM
AC on and off (mostly off)-2008

Hi..my daughter's 2008 Fit Sport has her AC only staying on blowing cold for about 20 mins then it blows hot and doesn't come on again unless car sits for a good while. We had an AC hose changed and it does now hold a good charge. Our mechanic (good guy) has tried to figure it out a few times over the past month with no luck. Thought it may be a sensor somewhere that makes it go off. Today he said he believes it is a funky clutch on the compressor, related to the magnetic property not working right and turns off the compressor when it should not. Has anyone heard of this type of problem. I believe its cheaper to change the whole compressor with clutch if so, since I was told you do have to take out the compressor and loose the refrigerant. Is correct?...or can you replace clutch without having to remove compressor and empty system. Since my daughter is moving from ME to NC, it would be good if she could stay cool, but otherwise, with 185k on the car, don't think a very costly AC repair is likely in our budget. Any thoughts about if the clutch is really the problem, is there a way to test for sure, or other ideas appreciated. Thanks, Rick

Old 09-25-2019, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
The clutch disk can become disengaged and require shims to get it working correctly again. If you Google about it you will see.

The clutch can still be moving but it is not engaged all the way.

Also if the system is low it can cause it to blow hot after a while.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by GolNat
The clutch disk can become disengaged and require shims to get it working correctly again. If you Google about it you will see.

The clutch can still be moving but it is not engaged all the way.

Also if the system is low it can cause it to blow hot after a while.
T

Hi..thanks for the insight. This is the first I had read about clutch becoming disengaged and potential shim fix to get it working. But now I see folks here have discussed it. If there is a link to how to do this job I'd be grateful. I also see a fitfreak (dwtaylorpdx) from 2017 taking a poll on whether or not undertray being present or not is a contributing factor to clutch failure...our Fit lost the tray about 2 years ago. I got undertray replacement but never installed (yet). Figured its worth a try since the alternative is for my daughter to go without AC while in North Carolina. She's surely not going to pay $1000 for a new clutch/compressor. Like I noted the clutch and compressor does run for 15-30 mins of cold air before shutting down and blowing cold with no clutch engaging...and our mechanic feels its a clutch (again he mentioned magnet) issue...I'd be interested in trying a fix, will poke around but any instructions appreciated...thanks much, Rick

Old 09-26-2019, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Don't have a DIY but it is similiar to this. Sounds pretty cut and dry. I would give it a try. Having no AC down south is horrible and the Fit AC is not the greatest. Mine always struggled when it got 90+.

A/C Compressor Clutch Overhaul

https://www.8thcivic.com/threads/the...s-work.654109/